doom

Doom

Over the last two days I’ve been running my rigging system through more rigorous testing. I started by downloading the Doom asset model from Valve’s Dota2 Workshop page, a great resource of cool characters for animators/riggers. Since the Maya assets provided already have skeletons and skinning,  all I needed to do was make a rig. So I fired up Marigold, the rigging toolset I’ve been programming, and got to work.

Prep

I’ve covered the finer points of Marigold’s workflow previously so I’ll gloss over that for now, but anyone interested can find details in this post.

I used the character’s skeleton to position and orientate the rigging modules. The green spheres are the roots for modules while the orange spheres are the various module bits. The arrows from sphere-to-sphere show the hierarchy of each module and of the character as a whole. These modules are what Marigold uses to create rigging.

Doom Skeleton

1. Doom Skeleton

Bits Over Skeleton

2. Bits Over Skeleton

Marigold Modules

3. Marigold Modules

Once all the modules were set up I generated the rig and constrained the character skeleton to the controls. This entire process, from layout to final rig, took about 2 hours.

Marigold Rig

4. Marigold Rig

Doom Rigged

5. Doom Rigged

With the character ready, I moved on to modeling and rigging a set piece. I like doing little sets for these test animations. It’s more fun for me to animate and produces better character performances. Since Doom is kinda an undead demon I thought a crypt would be fun and appropriate. The entire set took 4 hours to complete.

Crypt

6. Crypt

Crypt Graveyard

7. Crypt Graveyard

Results

Here are the final animations. The crypt sequence took roughly 8 hours to animate and the walk cycle 2 hours. I’m really happy with how they both turned out and with how my rigging system performed.